koroptev.cz, hosting, informační systémy, internetový obchod

Monuments

Some information on the historical monuments is subject to copyright of the Prague Information Service, which kindly provided the texts. For actual opening hours please visit their website: www.pis.cz

Prague Castle

Praha 1 - Hradcany

Czech Flag

National cultural monument, the symbol of more than millennial development of the Czech state. Since its foundation in the last quarter of the 9th century it has been developing uninterruptedly throughout the past eleven centuries. It is a monumental complex of ecclesiastical, fortification, residential and office buildings representing all architectural styles and periods, surrounding three castle courtyards and covering 45 hectares. Originally it used to be the residence of princes and kings of Bohemia, since 1918 it is the seat of the president. Source: www.pis.cz

Free entrance to objects of Prague Castle Administration and National Galery for disability card holders including an accompanying person.

St. Vitus, St. Wenceslas and St. Adalbert Cathedral

Praha 1 - Hradcany (Prague Castle) www.katedralapraha.cz

St. Vitus Cathedral
A gothic cathedral, the spiritual symbol of the Czech state, founded in the year 1344 by Jan Lucembursky (John of Luxembourg) and his sons Karel (Charles) and Jan Jindrich (John Henry) in the place of the original romanesque rotunda. The construction proceeded according to the plans of Matthias of Arras (until 1352), and then Petr Parler (1356 - 1399). The construction period protracted to nearly 600 years and it was finally completed in 1929. Decorated by precious works of art it encloses St. Wenceslas' Chapel and the Crypt with tombs of Bohemian kings. The coronation jewels are deposited here, too. Source: www.pis.cz
Accessibility: Fixed ramp in the entrance, no stairs inside except for the crypt. Disabled toilet is next to the cathedral (on the right).

St. George's Basilica

Praha 1 – Hradcany (Prague Castle)

St. George Basilica
The oldest preserved church building of the Prague Castle. Its romanesque architecture is in the best state of preservation among all similar buildings in Bohemia. Founded in 920 by the Prince Vratislav I, it was rebuilt in the 12th century. The facade gained its present baroque appearance in the 17th century. Outstanding are the chapels of St. John of Nepomuk and St. Ludmila. St. Ludmila was the grandmother of St. Wenceslas and the first Czech Christian martyr. Source: www.pis.cz
Accessibility: 5cm step at the entrance, most of the area is wheelchair-accessible

Old Royal Palace (Stary kralovsky palac)

Praha 1 – Hradcany (Prague Castle)

Up to the 16th century the residence of Bohemian princes and kings. It was built on relics of the romanesque palace of the Prince Sobeslav. Additional reconstructions in the gothic and renaissance styles were initiated by famous Czech kings Premysl Otakar II, Charles IV, Wenceslas IV and Vladislav Jagello. The most noteworthy space is the gothic Vladislav Hall - the largest profane hall of the medieval Prague (1487 - 1500 Benedikt Rejt) with a remarkable rounded rib vault, today the scene of presidential elections and representative events. In the Gothic and Romanesque storey there is a new permanent exposition "Story of the Prague Castle". Source: www.pis.cz
Accessibility: Electrical ramp by the stairs. First floor including the Vladislav Hall is fully accessible. Disabled toilet, the narrowest space to get there being 75 cm.

Old Town Hall (Staromestská radnice)

Staromestske nam. 1/3 Praha 1 - Stare Mesto (Old Town)

Established 1338 as the seat of the Old Town authorities. The oldest gothic part of the complex which includes a tower and an oriel chapel is richly decorated with coats of arms. It was built in the latter half of the 14th century. In the top part of the astronomical clock (early 15th century) the 12 apostles appear every hour between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m The bottom part was supplemented with a round calendarium including the signs of the zodiac painted by Josef Manes (1865). The eastern pseudo-gothic wing of the Town Hall was destroyed on May 8, 1945, and has not been rebuilt yet. Source: www.pis.cz
Accessibility: For fantastic views we recommend visiting the tower which is wheel-chair accessible. Entrance – the door on the left of the tower – ring the bell and a porter will open the door and place a ramp over one step. Then take a lift to the 3rd floor where there is an electric ramp and then a 2nd lift to to the top of the tower. There is one step to the open gallery (the gallery is very narrow), but you will see a lot even if staying inside. Please note that the narrowest space on the way is 78 cm. Disabled persons with a card including their accompanying person: 20 CZK.

Our Lady Before Tyn (Panna Marie pred Tynem)

Staromestské nam. 604 Praha 1 - Stare Mesto (Old Town)

The most impressive gothic sacral building in Prague the construction of which lasted from the mid-14th to the early 16th century. In the late 17th century the church interior was rebuilt in the baroque style. Its interesting decorations include valuable altar paintings by Karel Skreta and a tombstone of the astronomer Tycho de Brahe.
Accessibility: main entrance – 3 steps, side entrance – level (Celetna 5, ring the bell – you might have to try all of them and someone will take you inside

Charles Bridge (Karluv most)

Praha 1 - Stare Mesto, Praha 1 - Mala Strana

Charles Bridge in Winter

The oldest Prague bridge built in the place of the Judita's Bridge that had been badly damaged by a flood in 1342. The Stone or Prague Bridge since 1870 called Charles Bridge, was founded by Charles IV in the year 1357. By the latest researches the construction was started by Master Otto and finished by Peter Parler in 1402. Both ends of the bridge are fortified by towers (the Lesser Town Bridge Towers, the Old Town Bridge Tower). From 1683 to 1928 thirty sculptures and sculptural groups of the saints were gradually set on the bridge piers (M. Braun, F. M. Brokof, etc.) The bridge is 515 meters long and 10 meters wide. Source: www.pis.cz

The Old Jewish Cemetery

Siroka 3 (disabled entrance U Stareho hrbitova street), Praha 1 - Stare Mesto/Josefov

Jewish Cemetery
The Old Jewish Cemetery was established in the first half of the 15th century and it is one of the most important surviving monuments in Prague’s Jewish Town. The oldest tombstone, that marks the grave of the poet and scholar Avigdor Kara, dates from the year 1439. Burials took place in the cemetery until 1787. Today the cemetery contains almost 12 000 tombstones, although the number of persons buried there is much greater. The cemetery was enlarged a number of times in the past. In spite of this, the area did not suffice and earth was brought in to add further layers. It is assumed that the cemetery contains several burial layers superimposed one on top of the other. The picturesque groups of tombstones from various periods result from the fact that older stones were lifted up from the lower layers. The most prominent person buried in the Old Jewish Cemetery is without any doubt the great religious scholar and teacher Rabbi Liwa ben Bezalel, known as Rabbi Löw (1525-1609), who is associated with the legend of the robot "Golem".
Accessibility: level entrance between The Klausen Synagogue and The Ceremonial Hall (at the exit of the cemetery tour), vast majority is accessible. Assistant recommended due to surface of some parts (gravel, 1 little step on the way).

The Maisel Synagogue

Maiselova 10, Praha 1 - Stare Mesto/Josefov

The Maisel Synagogue was built in 1590–1592 by the Mayor of the Jewish Town, Mordechai Maisel, who funded the extensive Renaissance reconstruction of the ghetto. The builders of this synagogue were Josef Wahl and Juda Goldsmied de Herz. The original building was seriously damaged by fire in 1689 and was then renovated in the Baroque style. In the end, it was considerably rebuilt to the pseudo-Gothic design of Prof. A. Grotte in 1893–1905. All that remained intact of the original Renaissance layout was the ground plan of the tripartite central hall with the upper-storey women’s section. The Maisel Synagogue is currently used by the Jewish Museum as exhibition space and a depository. Permanent exhibiton: History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia – from the Establishment of Jewish Settlements up to the Period of Emancipation. For details see Barrier Free Prague/Museums and Galleries.
Accessibility: Low gradient/level entrance, inside there are no stairs but one small step right at the end of the exhibition.

The Spanish Synagogue

Vezenska 141/1, Praha 1 - Stare Mesto

Spanish Synagogue
The Spanish Synagogue was built in 1868 on the site of the oldest Prague Jewish house of prayer (the "Old School") in a Moorish style from the design of Vojtěch Ignátz Ullmann. The synagogue has a square ground plan with a cupola above the central area. The gallery is built on an iron structure. The stucco arabesque and stylised oriental motifs of the interior are also applied on the walls and in the adornment of the doors, balustrades and gallery. The coloured window panes and interior decoration were designed by architects A. Baum and B. Münzberg and completed in 1893. František Škroup, the composer of the Czech national anthem, was the organist in the synagogue, on which site the present building was completed in the years 1836–45. Permanent exhibition: The History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia – from Emancipation to the Present (For details see Barrier Free Prague/Museums and Galleries).
Accessibility: level entrance, exhibitions accessible by using Platform Stair Lift (there are 2 operated by security), ramps on the gallery.

Municipal House (Obecni dum)

namesti Republiky 5 Praha 1 - Stare Mesto (Old Town) www.obecnidum.cz

Municipal House
An Art Nouveau building constructed in 1905 - 1911 (A. Balsanek, O. Polivka) on the spot of the former king´s court, a seat of the kings of Bohemia from the end of the 14th century till 1438. The rich interieor and exterior decoration is work of A. Mucha, M. Svabinsky, J. V. Myslbek, etc. The monumental Smetana concert hall forms the centre of the building being the place of the International Music Festival Prazske Jaro (Prague Spring), other concerts and important social events. Guided tours - inquiries phone 222 002 100, and the inquiry centre of Obecní dum. Source: www.pis.cz
Accessibility: entrance – 1 step (a porter will place a ramp over the step). Lift door: 100 cm. Disabled toilet on the 1st floor (the door: 80 cm, rails). Second disabled toilet is on the groundfloor (this one is in an area for staff; the staff will show you the way.)

Bethlehem Chapel (Betlemska kaple)

Betlemske namesti 255/4 Praha 1 - Stare Mesto (Old Town)

Founded in 1391 for sermons in the Czech language. Master Jan Hus preached there between 1402 - 1412. In 1661 altered to a catholic church by Jesuits. In 1786 it was pulled down. In the years 1950 - 1952 a replica of the original chapel was erected on the site (architect J. Fragner).

Emauzy

Vysehradska 49/320 Praha 2 - Nove Mesto

Emauzy Chappel
The monastery Na Slovanech with a church founded by Charles IV in 1347, the only Slavonic monastery in the west Christianity of the Charles’s empire, centre of scholarship and arts. Such personalities as Jan Hus, Jerome of Prague etc. were among the students. A number of illuminated literal jewels were created here, among others a so-called Reims Gospel-book and the first complete translation of Jerome’s Vulgata. The monastery together with the church was solemnly consecrated by archbishop Ocko from Vlasim in the presence of Charles IV on 29 March 1372. The wall paintings rank among the most precious relics of the Czech Gothic. In the 16th century, abbot Matthew Benesovský transformed the area in a tavern with a skittle-ground and musicians for entertainment; in the early 17th century, the astronomer Kepler lived here for a few years. In 1712, both the monastery and the church were transformed into Baroque style, the high roof was replaced by a tripartite one, and two low frontal bulbous towers of the church were built. After 1880, the monastery, as well as the church were restored and altered to the so-called Beuron style. On 14 February 1945, during an American air-raid in Prague, the church was destroyed. Later on, a modern structure by the project of ing. arch. F. M. Cerný was installed: an asymmetric 32 meter high shell structure with a 40 cm thick construction of white concrete. Source: www.pis.cz
Tip
Check our special offers on wheelchair-friendly accommodation here>>
Tip
Try our "Barrier Free Prague" tourist guide here>>